Best & Co. was founded in 1879 as a partnership firm in Madras by Andrew Vans Dunlop Best and the company was incorporated as a Private Company in 1911.
The name of the company was changed to Best & Co. Pvt. Ltd., w.e.f. 1st May, 1975 with the consequential change in the name to Best & Co. Ltd.
In April, 1974, the Company acquired a substantial interest in the Crompton Engineering Co. (Madras) Ltd., with whom it had been associated as promoters and shareholders since its inception. Best & Co. Pvt.Ltd., were also Managing Agents of the Cromption Engineering Co. (Madras) Ltd.
The Crompton Engineering Co.(Madras) Ltd., was amalgamated with the Company and the name of the company was changed to Best & Crompton Engineering Ltd., w.e.f. 27th June, 1975.
Best & Crompton Engg. Limited (BCEL) is a public limited company listed in the Bombay Stock Exchange. BCEL is engaged in the field of manufacture and sale of industrial pumps and castings for industrial and automobile applications.
The company has embarked on a diversification plan with foray into new businesses such as manufacture of apparels, precast building slabs, precast building accessories, implementing precast buildings, multi-purpose machinery, machine tools, drivers and motors.